UEFA have ruled that referee Ovidiu Hategan did follow protocol when dealing with Yaya Toure's racism complaint against CSKA Moscow.
The Manchester City midfielder raised the issue with the official after being subjected to taunts from home supporters during the UEFA Champions League fixture between the two sides in Russia last week.
European football's governing body have a three-step plan to tackle racism, with the second being that a statement should be made over a public address system once a complaint has been levied to the referee, before potentially a match being abandoned if such instances continue.
But stage two was not adhered to during the game, leading to an investigation by UEFA into Hategan's actions.
However, a ruling on Wednesday found the Romanian official followed guidelines and that the UEFA venue director for the match had failed to act on the advice and has subsequently been removed from his position.
UEFA have issued sanctions against CSKA, with parts of the Arena Khimki set to be closed for their next home Champions League fixture against Bayern Munich on November 27.
On the Hategan situation, a statement on UEFA's website read: "The referee (Hategan) immediately asked the fourth official to request an announcement to be made to the public.
"The venue director (the UEFA officer in charge of football operations), who had not heard the chanting himself, did not activate the procedure. As the chanting had ceased, the referee decided to resume the game with the free-kick.
"The conclusion of the investigation is therefore that the referee had correctly triggered the first step of the procedure by requesting the stadium announcement.
"The venue director acted inappropriately, though in good faith, so causing the failure in the activation of the first step of the standard procedure, as decided by the referee.
"The UEFA venue director at the Arena Khimki has been relieved of his duties."
|Celtic 5 Astana 0: Sinclair double helps put Rodgers´ men on brink of qualification|
|Sigurdsson to Everton joins Lukaku, Torres and Sterling among biggest all-Premier League deals|
|Sigurdsson completes club-record move from Swansea to Everton|
|Izquierdo granted work permit ahead of club-record Brighton switch|
|Van Persie and Babel win Netherlands recalls|
|Ronaldo brands five-match ban ´exaggerated and ridiculous´|
|Bayern in ´good rhythm´ after poor pre-season - Ancelotti|
|Van Dijk not for sale, says Southampton chairman|
|Liverpool loan Ojo to Fulham|
|Ronaldo´s appeal against five-match ban rejected|
|PSG´s Matuidi arrives in Turin to complete Juventus switch|
|Barcelona threaten legal action over Paulinho deal allegations|
|Sigurdsson undergoes Everton medical, Koeman lavishes praise|
|Boateng leaves Las Palmas for personal reasons|
|Coutinho one of the best in the world, says Liverpool team-mate Can|
|Pulisic staying at Dortmund despite Liverpool speculation|
|Gundogan not rushing Premier League comeback|
|Carlos Bacca joins Villarreal from AC Milan|
|Wenger happy Sanchez & Oxlade-Chamberlain have not followed Coutinho path|
|Newcastle land Joselu in £5m deal|
|Jese Rodriguez joins Stoke from PSG|
|No progress on Alexis Sanchez contract, admits Arsenal boss Wenger|
|Klopp excited by ´incredible´ Alexander-Arnold after starring role in Liverpool win|
|Melbourne Victory confirm Sanchez signing|
|Aston Villa fans ´carried away´ after Terry signing, says Bruce|
|Hoffenheim had ´clearer´ chances, says Nagelsmann|
|Pogba determined to win Premier League with Man Utd|
|Championship Review: Ipswich win again in dramatic fashion|
|Klopp insists Liverpool still have work to do|
|Alexander-Arnold delighted with ´dream´ goal and Liverpool win|
|Hoffenheim 1 Liverpool 2: Klopp´s men secure fine away win in Champions League|
|Iniesta to miss Supercopa de Espana decider through injury|
|No comparison between Sanchez and Costa - Wenger|
|West Brom sign Barry to fill Fletcher void|
|Girona 1 Manchester City 0: Gundogan returns in friendly defeat|
|Balotelli a big loss but Nice are still dangerous, warns Napoli boss Sarri|
|Nothing is impossible - Barca and Valverde prepared to attack Madrid|
|Roberto and Samper in Valverde´s future Barca plans|
|Busquets hits out at Barcelona´s Segura over Pique blame|
|Fiorentina sign winger Dias from Monaco|
|S*** happens - Guidetti frustrated but determined after operation|
|Lawrence leaves Leicester for Derby in reported £7m deal|
|City´s Ederson proud of Brazil call-up|
|Bonucci targeting Champions League title at Milan|
|Buffon, Messi, Ronaldo up for UEFA Men´s Player of the Year award|
|Real Madrid US tour woes never worried Zidane|
|Arda agent denies deal with Galatasaray|
|Something is up - Real Madrid boss Zidane questions Ronaldo ban|
|Coutinho exit would be awful for Liverpool, admits Firmino|
|Ronaldo ban excessive, says Real Madrid defender Carvajal|
|Sammer sees Kimmich as leader for Bayern and Germany|
|That´s why Rooney´s in my fantasy team - Everton keeper Pickford delights in hero´s return|
|Dembele wasn´t ready for Barca last year, says ex-Bayern director|
|Mkhitaryan: Lindelof will prove his worth at Man United|
|Socceroos trio Jedinak, Spiranovic and Smith return ahead of qualifiers|
|Everton to buy house for homeless teenagers|
|Klopp has no say in Coutinho saga amid Barca speculation|
|Klopp unhappy as Can contract talks stall|
|Jack Wilshere makes comeback from leg fracture for Arsenal Under-23s|