Villas-Boas ´unlikely´ to sign Damiao
Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas has revealed the club are 'extremely unlikely' to sign Internacional striker Leandro Damiao this month.
After Saturday's Premier League fixture against QPR, Jermain Defoe will be Spurs' only recognised first-team striker as Emmanuel Adebayor will travel to South Africa to join Togo's Africa Cup of Nations squad, with the tournament ending on February 10.
Damiao has been previously linked with a move to White Hart Lane, but the Tottenham manager insists the 23-year-old won't be brought in to bolster his attacking options during the January transfer window.
"Leandro is a player we've always appreciated, that this club appreciated before I arrived, but it's extremely difficult that he's going to join Tottenham," said Villas-Boas.
"He's a player that is highly rated in the market, and it's unlikely that he will play for Tottenham."
Damiao has also reinforced his intention to stay at Internacional this month but the Brazil international concedes he could move clubs in the future.
"My agent told me that there is no offer, everyone around me knows that I want to stay," Damiao told Zero Hora.
"But I can't say that I'll stay forever, maybe there will be an offer in the long term and (my future) depends on the president too".
Villas-Boas also revealed that the club were not looking to bring in Schalke midfielder Lewis Holtby in January.
The 22-year-old has signed a pre-contract agreement to join Spurs on a free transfer at the end of the season, but the Bundesliga side's managing director Horst Heldt revealed that a move this month was still an option.
"When you reach an agreement with a player that is a free transfer in the summer, there is always that possibility, but it is not something we are looking to do," Villas-Boas said.
Concerning possible outgoings, Villas-Boas insisted that it was 'impossible' for William Gallas to leave in the near future after the defender was sent to a French clinic in an attempt to solve a persistent calf injury.
QPR are thought to be interested in light of Ryan Nelsen's imminent departure to take over as manager of MLS outfit Toronto FC.
QPR boss Harry Redknapp did, however, confirm his interest in Spurs midfielder Jake Livermore, and Villas-Boas was more forthcoming with a potential loan move.
The one-time England international made 38 appearances for the north London side under Redknapp last season, but has fallen behind Sandro, Tom Huddlestone and summer arrival Mousa Dembele this season, with fellow midfielder Scott Parker also recently returning to full fitness - with Livermore restricted to just 10 outings this term.
"There is a couple of possibilities for Jake to get a loan deal," Villas-Boas said.
"We are pretty happy with how he trains and how professional he has been but he hasn't had a lot of (playing) time.
"He is aware of these conversations. We just have to wait and see."