Kosmina not talking about future
Adelaide United coach John Kosmina has refused to be drawn on his future at the club, with talks set to begin next month on a new deal.
Following the departure of former coach Rini Coolen in December 2011, Kosmina has guided Adelaide to second on the A-League table this season despite a rocky start to his second stint in charge of the Reds.
Kosmina, who was installed as coach on a one-season deal following a handshake agreement with the club, is after a long-term deal.
Chairman Greg Griffin said contract talks would be put off until the board meets in February, although he loosely reassured Kosmina that the club was not chasing another coach to replace him.
"I can guarantee you that we are not speaking to any other coach ... that should be of great comfort to Kossie (Kosmina)," Griffin said on Wednesday.
"We have to sit down and work out how he wants to progress and how we want to progress and, as we haven't even discussed it at board level, it's simply premature for me to speculate because it's a board decision.
"The agreement is for a year, the agreement is only halfway through, and I don't know what you normally do in business, but I normally wait until the contract nears the end before something happens."
Speaking at training on Thursday ahead of Friday night's home encounter with Perth Glory, Kosmina was light hearted in response to Griffin's claims.
"That's Greg Griffin who is a lawyer. When do lawyers ever commit?" Kosmina said.
"I watch enough television and law shows to work that out."
When pressed further regarding the uncertainty of his future, Kosmina declined to comment and deflected attention onto Friday's clash.
"I'm not talking about contracts. It's been going in and out, in and out," Kosmina said.
"It's not about me coaching the team, it's about us winning on Friday.
"If you coach it for 10 years or you coach it for 10 weeks it doesn't matter – it's about winning."
Adelaide will make two changes to the team that drew 0-0 with Newcastle Jets at Hunter Stadium last week.
Fabian Barbiero will replace the injured Marcelo Carrusca in the starting 11 and Osama Malik comes in for Zenon Caravella on the bench.
Exciting youngster Awer Mabil is also in line to make his debut after being named as a substitute.
Mabil's promotion to the first team comes after the 17-year-old winger signed a two-year contract with the Reds on Wednesday.
The Kenyan has scored eight goals in 10 appearances for Adelaide's National Youth League team this season.
Kosmina said Mabil deserved to feature for the senior side following his red-hot form.
"We lost Fabio Ferreira for a couple of weeks with some groin issues and Awer has earned his chance with his performances in the youth team," Kosmina said.
"He gives us a lot of speed and an x-factor.
"You look at him and Fabio, it's almost like for like, they're both quick, both good dribblers and both natural wide players.
"If you do your job in the youth team you've got a chance in the first team."