Related

Article

Beckham refutes talks with Monaco

29 November 2012 22:28

David Beckham has played down reports linking him with a move to Ligue 2 club Monaco.

The club's chief executive Tor-Kristian Karlsen said on Thursday that they would be 'foolish' not to explore the opportunity of signing the former England captain.

Speculation has been rife over Beckham's future after he revealed that he would be leaving LA Galaxy following December's MLS final against Houston Dynamo, with his contract expiring.

But after being linked with a host of clubs - including in Australia, Brazil and Russia - Beckham revealed that he has not spoken with the French club, or the New York Cosmos, a club currently in the American second division.

"I've been hearing the Cosmos thing for the last two or three years," Beckham told reporters. "No, it's not true. My manager has not had conversations on that side. That's definitely not true.

"I heard the Monaco thing on the way to training this morning from my friend in London. He said, 'Are you going to Monaco?' That was the first I heard of that."

The French side were relegated in 2011 following 35 years in Ligue 1 and chief executive Karlsen believes that signing someone with the reputation of Beckham would help restore his side to their former glory.

"We are happy with our current squad," the official, whose side are currently lead the French second tier, told BBC Sport.

"But if there's a chance to get a player of Beckham's stature, we'd be foolish not to explore it. Right now we're trying to learn if Beckham's future ambitions are in sync with ours.

"I understand he's high in demand but it's natural for a player with his experience and quality. Let's see what the next few weeks bring.

"It's a privilege to be linked with world-renowned players like Beckham. We're an ambitious club and our president is committed to bringing the club back to where it used it be - to the elite of French football.

"To achieve such a goal we have to keep an open mind when experienced and extraordinarily talented footballers become available."

Billionaire Russian businessman Dmitry Rybolovlev bought a majority stake in Monaco last year, and has ambitions of returning the club to the heights which saw them reach the Champions League final in 2004.

Former Chelsea manager Claudio Ranieri has taken the reins at the Stade Louis II, with his side on top of the Ligue 2 table after 15 matches.

Sponsored links

Thursday 18 September

Wednesday 17 September

23:54
23:53
23:50
23:47
23:44
23:34
23:24
23:21
23:03
23:00
22:46
22:45
22:44
22:44
22:43
22:42
21:09
20:31
19:45
19:25
19:16
19:11
18:50
18:49
18:45
18:35
18:25
18:20
18:01
17:51
17:34
16:56
16:10
16:10
16:00
15:45
15:31
15:29
14:10
13:57
13:34
13:09
12:32
11:56
11:05
10:48
10:23
10:10
09:43
09:38
09:37
08:38
08:37
07:18
05:47
04:06
03:49
03:14
03:10
02:32
02:26
02:26
01:35
01:20
00:35
00:35
00:33
00:27
00:26
00:26
00:10
00:05
00:04
00:02
00:00

Tuesday 16 September

23:50
23:46
23:42
23:23
23:06
23:05
22:57
22:50
22:49
22:44
22:38
22:36
22:05
21:07
21:04
20:56
20:48
20:28
19:50
19:46
19:38
19:27
19:09
19:09
18:40
17:51
17:33
17:28
16:58
16:40
16:39
16:20
15:58
14:42
14:33
14:27
14:26
13:57
12:49
12:22
10:21
10:13
09:44
09:32
06:58
06:43
06:03
05:59
05:37
05:20
04:08
03:37
03:17
03:11
02:53
01:21
01:16
00:36
00:32

Facebook