TIANJIN, China (AFP) - Matches at the women's World Cup on Wednesday were called off at the last minute and rescheduled after protests from the teams involved, leaving many fans in the lurch.
It means China's crunch Group D game against New Zealand here and Australia's equally important showdown with Canada in Chengdu will now take place on Thursday.
The move followed a decision by FIFA on Tuesday to push back the Group D clash between Brazil and Denmark and the Group C meeting between Norway and Ghana to Thursday as Typhoon Wipha barrelled towards China.
But the fixture change was contradictory to the practice of playing the group finales together on the same day, and sparked complaints to FIFA and the local organising committee.
Teams said having the final group games on different days would give those sides playing on Thursday an unfair advantage as they would know the score of the Wednesday game and thus what result was needed to make the quarter-finals.
"All of the teams (in Group C) protested that none of the games were being played at the same time," said an official with the Australian team.
FIFA spokesman Nicolas Maingot told AFP the decision to postpone the games was made "in the early afternoon" and that the teams were informed soon after.
The Australian team said it was only told that the match had been postponed as they prepared to board the bus to the stadium in Chengdu, although Canadian spokesman Richard Scott said his team had yet to leave the hotel.
"We knew that there was a possibility that there would be a change," he said. "That's football."
FIFA's official statement was issued 10 minutes after the Australia-Canada match was supposed to have started.
"Obviously, as a responsible organisation we listen to our members," said Maingot.
"Most of the teams were not happy by our original decision. But it was because of a special circumstance. The evolution of the typhoon tells us that it is now possible to play all the matches on the same day."
The typhoon was downgraded to a tropical storm Wednesday as it lost much of its punch after roaring ashore in Zhejiang province south of the financial hub Shanghai.
Billed by Chinese state media as potentially the worst to strike in a decade, it sparked the evacuation of around two million people.
Asked about fans, some of whom had travelled from overseas, being left in the lurch, Maingot said they were taken into consideration, without elaborating.
"It is an important point and one we definitely took into consideration," he said," adding that the local organising committee was responsible for refunds or the reissue of tickets.
The China match was expected to attract 60,000 fans.
New Zealander Carolyn Thompson said the postponement had caused all sorts of problems.
"Now we have to decide whether we are going to stay for the game, or miss our planes (back to New Zealand)," she said.
"We have paid thousands of dollars to come here to watch the matches, so we must decide to either leave now, or pay thousands of dollars by missing our flight and paying for more hotels."
Another New Zealander at the stadium here, Terry McCahill, added: "We heard that there are a lot of Chinese fans coming in from Beijing, so they will also have to turn around.
"It's not only us foreign fans that are inconvenienced, the Chinese fans will have to change their plans."
|Welbeck could miss FA Cup final and England double header|
|League One play-off final Preview: Preston hoping to end hoodoo|
|Rodgers expects Sterling talks to resume|
|Martinez dismisses Oviedo exit talk|
|Neil hoping to draw on previous play-off success|
|Cisse weighing up offers from USA, India and Poland|
|Hazard announced as Premier League´s Player of the Season|
|United should sign Cech if De Gea leaves - Scholes|
|Copa Libertadores Review: Cruzeiro draw first blood away from home|
|MLS Preview: Wondolowski poised for 100-goal club|
|Ligue 1 Preview: Monaco, Marseille, Saint-Etienne battle for Champions League spot|
|Serie A Preview: Radu in doubt for crucial Rome derby|
|Bundesliga Preview: Relegation battle set for dramatic end, Dortmund to farewell Klopp|
|Stankovic denies talk of Inter return|
|Benitez would be ´happy´ to manage Real - agent|
|Newcastle not expecting favours from Allardyce - Carver|
|Lacazette can be ´world class´ - Houllier|
|Hodgson defends Sterling|
|Eredivisie Review: Heerenveen and Vitesse seize initiative|
|Prince Ali confirms World Cup expansion plans|
|Giroud hits back at ´dull´ Henry over Arsenal comments|
|Real Madrid v Getafe: Ancelotti banned in potential Bernabeu farewell|
|Stoke secure permanent Wollscheid deal|
|Ligue 1 relegation places cut to two|
|Bayern Munich v Mainz: Champions out to ring in title with return to form|
|Granada v Atletico Madrid: Tiago ready for difficult final day|
|Luis Figo statement on FIFA president candidacy withdrawal|
|Barcelona v Deportivo La Coruna: Xavi prepares to bid farewell to La Liga|
|New Liverpool deals for Ibe and Flanagan|
|The tooth hurts for Hazard as he looks set to miss Sunderland clash|
|Juventus v Napoli: Double winners prepare to celebrate|
|Luis Figo withdraws from FIFA presidency race|
|Bielsa not expecting contract offer from Marseille|
|Hodgson: No England rift with United over Shaw|
|Genoa v Inter: Mancini´s men chase European berth|
|Borussia Dortmund v Werder Bremen: Klopp looks to sign off with European qualification|
|Bartomeu hits out at Ancelotti to Barca rumours|
|Paris Saint-Germain v Reims: Parisians ready to celebrate title triumph|
|I have not spoken to any clubs, insists Klopp|
|League Two play-off final Preview: Ainsworth claims underdog status|
|Sheringham named Stevenage boss|
|Lawless banned for football betting|
|Defence should be United´s priority, says Stam|
|Klopp vows to ignore nostalgia at final home game|
|Hodgson excited by new England call-ups|
|Xavi: Barca will survive without me|
|Benzema sustains hamstring injury|
|Maiden England call-ups for Austin, Vardy and Heaton|
|Kramer relishing Leverkusen return|
|Xavi confirms Barcelona departure|
|Sterling ´definitely not signing´ new Liverpool deal - agent|
|Herrera eyes second-season improvement|
|Kane plans long Tottenham stay|
|Schmidt signs new Leverkusen deal|
|Sterling should stay at Liverpool, says Redknapp|
|Van Praag withdraws from FIFA presidential race|
|Financial fair play here to stay, warns Platini|
|Zidane: Gerrard and me are alike|
|Drobny ruled out of Hamburg finale|
|Defoe: We want Advocaat to stay|
|Zorc expects Hummels to stay|
|Wilshere happy with position|
|Moreno talks up Europa League|
|Santa Fe 1 Internacional 0: Mosquera nets injury-time winner|
|Sporting Kansas City 4 New England Revolution 2: Nemeth inspires victory|
|Dunga calls up Fred, Felipe Anderson for Olympic trials|
|Koke wants to be Atleti´s Gerrard|
|Tinkler: FFA are ripping off owners|
|Klopp will excel at big club - Feulner|
|Allegri concedes cards fell Juve´s way|
|Estoyanoff cops six-game ACL ban for punching|
|Desailly: Mourinho would have won title with City|
|Teary Advocaat delighted to silence the Sunderland doubters|
|Pioli bemoans Lazio´s lack of luck|
|Chiellini salutes Juve fight after Coppa triumph|
|Maldini heads US franchise Miami FC|
|Wenger bemoans Arsenal fatigue|
|Advocaat to decide on Sunderland future next week|
|Juventus 2 Lazio 1 (aet): Matri keeps treble dream alive|
|Arsenal 0 Sunderland 0: Wearsiders ensure Premier League safety|
|AFC Champions League Review: Gamba take big step towards last eight|
|FIFA sponsors voice concern over Qatar working conditions|
|CSKA Sofia denied competition licences|
|Sampaoli cuts Chile squad to 26|
|Israel FA unlikely to be banned, suggests Blatter|
|Barton backs ´breath of fresh air´ Ramsey´s QPR deal|
|Adebayor considered suicide over family issues|
|Schmeichel: United can move on from De Gea|
|Fabregas ban cut to one game|
|FIGC deny Genoa a UEFA licence|
|Watford secure Gomes for Premier League return|
|Lewandowski and Boateng clash in Bayern training|
|Blackpool handed FA charge|
|Almeria to learn fate next week|
|Nimes to stay in Ligue 2 following appeal|
|Rosler named Leeds head coach|
|Sheringham set for Stevenage|
|Zanetti hopeful over Inter swoop for Toure|
|Simeone: Work ethic crucial to Atletico success|
|Southgate never considered Sterling Under-21 call|
|Dundee United clarify Newcastle Jets bid|
|Kane included in Under-21 squad|
|Overmars warns United off Cillessen|
|Carver tells Newcastle fans: Put all your differences to one side|
|Real Madrid perfect for Pogba - Desailly|
|Ravanelli backs Juve for treble success|
|Ward-Prowse eyeing Etihad upset|
|Bruce issues rallying cry ahead of crucial weekend|
|Van Gaal steals show at United awards evening|
|FFA revoke Newcastle Jets´ licence|
|Dundee United bid to buy Newcastle Jets|
|Altidore out for up to five weeks, Gold Cup campaign in doubt|
|Emelec 1 Tigres UANL 0: Bolanos sinks Mexican visitors|
|Wenger hails underappreciated Coquelin|
|Giggs: It´s strange celebrating United´s Champions League spot|
|Advocaat still unsure of future|
|CONMEBOL dismisses Boca´s appeal|