Adelaide United vs. Brisbane Roar  0 - 1


Smith hails Roar ´togetherness´

29 December 2012 01:56

Brisbane Roar captain Matt Smith says teamwork and effort were the keys to success against Adelaide United on Boxing Day.

The Roar won away for the first time this season, notching a 1-0 victory though Henrique's second-half goal.

It was Mike Mulvey's second match in charge of the Roar, after defeat the previous week to Perth.

Brisbane are up against Wellington Phoenix at Suncorp Stadium on New Year's Day.

When asked what had caused the turnaround in fortunes for the club, Smith said the formula was a simple one.

"A couple of things really. I think the first thing is hard work. It was a real collective effort against Adelaide," Smith said.

"Every single player played their part. There was a sense of togetherness out there.

"And it certainly helps when you take your chances."

Smith himself put in a spirited effort in defence against United, doing well to shackle a lively Bruce Djite, though he insisted his personal performance was just part and parcel of the game.

"Every team's fighting for something, every team's got a worthwhile cause," he said.

"It doesn't matter if you're pushing for the top of pushing to get off the bottom, you've got to have that fire in your belly.

"You've got to protect the team and the club and obviously you've got to protect yourself. Any sign of weakness can obviously be taken advantage of.

"We said at the beginning, we had to be on the front foot, we had to go and attack them and put pressure on them, and I think we did well."

Midway through the season, the Roar sit in eighth place on the A-League ladder, thirteen points from the table-topping Mariners.


A-League: Adelaide 0 Brisbane 1

26 December 2012 11:48

Brisbane Roar gave interim coach Mike Mulvey the perfect delayed Christmas gift on Wednesday.

They celebrated their first A-League win under the Englishman with a 1-0 victory over Adelaide United at Hindmarsh Stadium.

In what was expected to be a Boxing Day blockbuster, the clash was played out with little gusto and intensity with neither side able to carve out chances in the attacking third, although Brisbane dominated possession as usual.

It took until just past the hour mark for the Roar to eventually find the net and break the deadlock when Henrique capped off a clever passage of play with captain Mitch Nichols and Thomas Broich.

While the goal-scoring opportunities were few and far between, the yellow cards were not with referee Adam Kersey brandishing a total of seven.

The win breaks Mulvey's duck since taking charge of the Roar two weeks ago and temporarily lifts his side to seventh.

Adelaide remain second after suffering back-to-back defeats for the first time this season following last week's crushing 6-1 loss to Western Sydney.

Both sides were sloppy and often caught in possession as neither could get going in the opening minutes.

The Roar were caught on the counter after their attacks continued to break down, but Adelaide could not press forward and take advantage.

The first genuine threat on goal came in the eighth minute via Roar hitman Besart Berisha.

Ivan Franjic had time on the right flank to whip in a dangerous cross to Berisha who shook his marker to drill a bullet header that produced an acrobatic save from United skipper Eugene Galekovc.

Adelaide were unable to piece anything together in attack and their frustration was compounded on 18 minutes when Jeronimo Neumann was booked for simulation.

The decision was met with a chorus of boos when a replay suggested the Argentine, who has been accused of diving in the past, was fouled.

The visitors went close on 39 minutes. With a neat first touch, Franjic controlled a sky-high ball before working a neat one-two with Ben Halloran into Adelaide's area.

Franjic returned a pass to Halloran but the former Gold Coast winger struck straight at Galekovic.

With half-time approaching Reds defenders Iain Fyfe and Daniel Bowles joined Jeronimo and Brisbane duo Smith and Henrique in the book as the lifeless clash found a pulse.

The match hadn't even restarted following the break when Roar gloveman Michael Theo was also shown a yellow card.

Impressive Adelaide striker Bruce Djite carved out the first opportunity of the half in the 57th minute.

The 25-year-old used his body and strength to fend off Smith and give himself room to fire off a powerful shot that whisked narrowly wide.

But it was Brisbane who finally took advantage on 65 minutes through Henrique.

Broich and Nichols pushed forward and exchanged passes before the latter sliced his way past the would-be tackles of Fyfe and Bowles as he continued to glide into the hosts' box.

Nichols reached the by-line and cut the ball back to Henrique who prodded home.

A-League table

# Team MP D P
1 27 +20 57
2 27 +26 54
3 27 +3 44
4 27 +1 41
5 27 +4 35
6 27 -2 32
7 27 -10 32
8 27 -15 31
9 27 -9 27
10 27 -18 27