Arsenal vs. Tottenham Hotspur  5 - 2

Article

Lloris rues Adebayor red

18 November 2012 05:44

Tottenham goalkeeper Hugo Lloris believes Emmanuel Adebayor's sending-off against Arsenal was the difference in a 5-2 defeat on Saturday.

Adebayor opened the scoring in the 10th minute of the match at the Emirates Stadium, but was given a straight red just seven minutes later for a lunge at Santi Cazorla.

Despite conceding five times in the contest, Lloris was happy to get an outing for Spurs, just his second in the league since moving to the club in August.

"It was difficult. With the red card, we exploded in mid-air," Lloris told Canal+.

"It is never easy to concede five, but it sure feels good to be on that pitch."

Lloris, who admitted last week it is difficult to accept being second choice at White Hart Lane, was diplomatic about his chances of playing in future.

"Will I play in the next few matches? It is the manager you need to ask that question to," he said.

"I always give my best in training."

Article

Villas-Boas: Adebayor not to blame

17 November 2012 18:47

Andre Villas-Boas has refused to blame Emmanuel Adebayor for the 5-2 defeat to north London rivals Arsenal on Saturday.

The Togolese striker opened the scoring for Tottenham after 10 minutes, but was shown the red card eight minutes later following a reckless tackle on Santi Cazorla, with the Gunners going on to make full use of their one-man advantage.

Despite the loss, the Portuguese manager refused to lay the blame at the striker's feet and when asked by Sky Sports News whether the game swung on Adebayor's red card, he said: "No - first I am very, very proud of my players, I think it was too much time playing with 10 men.

"The sending off, these things happen in football. I think the referee made the right decision, but today I'm very proud of my team."

The 35-year-old chose to focus on other areas where he felt the game was lost - losing the third goal just before half-time, and Gareth Bale wasting a great opportunity to set up Jermain Defoe to reduce the deficit at 4-2.

He continued: "There are two key moments in the game; the 3-1 left us with a big margin to come back, but there were also a couple of chances for the 4-3.

"Had we taken the game to a one-goal difference in the second half I think we could have gone all the way through because we certainly had the football, the passion, the ambition and the desire with 10 men, so I don't take it as a defeat.

"I take the result but I am extremely proud of the team."

The White Hart Lane boss revealed he will not punish Adebayor for his early red card, adding: "Players go to dispute the ball not with the intention to do any harm but sometimes situations like this happen."

Meanwhile, Arsene Wenger has called for Arsenal to show greater consistency.

"People are there to question our performances when we are not at the top," the Gunners manager said.

"I have a great confidence in this team that they have something special and was always confident that we would come out but we want to show that now in a consistent way.

"It's a big win, I promised goals before the game. You were not disappointed.

"They had a good start and after that we were 1-0 down and even a chance for a second goal but we have shown belief, spirit and quality in our game.

"Even if they were down to 10 men, you could see that we were coming into the game and creating chances.

"In the end it was a great win, a great score and that will strengthen our belief again."

Theo Walcott turned in a superb performance from the right wing, and the manager was delighted with his game, reaffirming his determination to keep him at the Emirates beyond the end of the season, when his contract expires.

"He was tremendous, Theo, from the first to the last minute," Wenger said.

"I'm happy that he got a goal as well because in the end, he finished as a centre-forward and I'm happy that he scored a goal from this position.

"I haven't changed my mind on him, for a long time I have said that I will try to keep him."

Article

Walcott satisfied with big win

17 November 2012 17:22

Theo Walcott insists he has fully proven himself after playing a starring role in Arsenal's 5-2 thrashing of Tottenham on Saturday afternoon.

Walcott's contract runs out at the end of the season and he is believed to want a regular starting position before committing his future to the Gunners.

Tottenham took the lead 10 minutes in through Emmanuel Adebayor, but the match turned on its head when the Togolese striker was given his marching orders just seven minutes later for a crude challenge on Santi Cazorla.

From there it was all Arsenal and Walcott caused problems for the Spurs defence throughout the match from the right wing.

He hit a deserved goal in stoppage time after assisting the Gunners' first goal, scored by Per Mertesacker.

"When you've got the big man (Olivier Giroud) up front he's going to cause havoc and when you put Per (Mertesacker) up front, who's just as big, it's going to help my game as well," Walcott told Sky Sports.

"I think last season you could see a lot of glimpses of that, a lot of assists but like I say, I just wanted to play and hopefully I've shown everybody what I can do now."

Walcott believes the Gunners will take great confidence from their win, as they did from a victory by an identical scoreline over Spurs last season

He added: "These games always help us very early in the season and I think if we just showed that kind of ambition and courage in every game, we can climb right up that table now.

"We showed a few people how good we are today and everyone knows we're strong in the dressing room, we showed that today.

"It's going to give us tremendous spirit, we're getting a lot of players back fit now, which will always help, it's nice to see Jack (Wilshere) come on and get a good run out, he's got that different side to his game that we didn't have.

"Everyone's looking bright and looking very confident. Olivier's come in now and people were saying things at the start, but it's always going to take time, but he's shown what a great player he is and I love playing with him at the moment."

Giroud was on target in his first north London derby, and believes he is starting to feel at home at the Emirates, after hitting four goals in his last three games.

"It was an amazing atmosphere this afternoon and I'm very happy to win my first derby," the Frenchman said.

"It was something special for all the fans so I'm proud to have won this derby, it's important for the future to have won this game.

"I feel better and better in this team and we are finding a lot of matches between us which is important for goalscoring and today we showed it's better so we have to keep going and continue to go forward."

Article

Caulker gunning for revenge

16 November 2012 17:54

Tottenham defender Steven Caulker wants revenge against Arsenal after suffering a 4-1 defeat in the only north London derby he has played in.

The centre-back played 90 minutes of the heavy loss at White Hart Lane in a third-round League Cup tie back in September 2010.

And Caulker, who scored his first goal for England in midweek, is relishing his first ever Premier League north London derby after stepping up to the Tottenham first team this season.

"It will be very surreal knowing that in the space of two years I will be playing them again in a Tottenham shirt in a league game," he told the Spurs website.

Caulker tasted victory against Arsenal in a 3-2 win with Swansea while on loan last season, and is keen for a repeat outcome on Saturday.

"That's what I have always wanted to do. Last year I beat Arsenal 3-2 when I was at Swansea. That was obviously a great moment and I hope we can do the same at the weekend," he said.

"Going on loan has been crucial for me, especially the season at Swansea. We played in such a way that it improved my composure on the ball and it helped me learn how to play it out from the back."

Article

AVB: Tottenham want revenge over Arsenal

16 November 2012 14:26

Andre Villas-Boas says he has been instructed by Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy to achieve victory at all costs against Arsenal on Saturday.

The Gunners won last season's corresponding fixture 5-2, eventually overhauling their rivals in the Premier League and securing a Champions League spot, while Spurs missed out due to Chelsea winning the competition.

Spurs currently sit a place and a point above Arsenal, and Villas-Boas has revealed that he has been given constant reminders from his chairman to avoid last season's heartache when the teams clash again in the north London derby.

"He keeps on mentioning it," the 35-year-old said.

"I think it's normal, you really have to embrace it because it's part of the greater culture of this game, it means a lot for both teams.

"You can't wear red in a situation like this - at this training ground. The meaning of it is quite special and all of us embrace it."

The Portuguese coach also revealed that he fully comprehends the historical significance of the game having talked to numerous members of the White Hart Lane staff.

"I have been getting it for the last two weeks, people have been speaking about it quite often - the staff, the chairman - so you understand the importance of it," he said.

"This is a game where passion is very high, it's a game that represents three points, but is more than that in the history of north London derbies."

Article

Dembele to miss Arsenal clash

15 November 2012 15:24

Andre Villas-Boas has lost Moussa Dembele for Tottenham's north London derby with Arsenal in their Premier League clash on Saturday.

The Belgian midfielder is currently suffering a recurrence of a hip injury sustained while at Fulham, and the Portuguese manager confirmed his absence for the match between the rivals.

Asked if Dembele would be ready, Villas-Boas replied: "No, not for this game."

However, Aaron Lennon and Jermain Defoe may be back in time to face the Gunners, although Villas-Boas admitted Spurs are playing a waiting game regarding the forward duo.

"Lennon had a scan (on Wednesday), and it's fine on his hamstring. We have to wait and see because I think today is an important day. They had quite a bit of time to rest, to recover, and we have to wait and see if we are able to give them a session for today," he said.

"(Defoe and Lennon) haven't trained with the team yet, they trained separately yesterday, and on the recovery, on a lighter session basically, on their own, individually.

"We'll have to see today how they return, see if there's any disturbance."

Despite the bad blood between the sides, the Spurs boss believes his team should look to Arsenal's example of building a championship-winning team for inspiration to push on and win top honours.

"I think Arsenal have at the moment accumulated a recent amount of trophies, which is important, including the Premiership champions," he said.

"This is a step up - this is where we want to be in the future. I think recently they have obtained more Champions League qualifications, so our objectives for the season too have been within their reach for the last couple of years.

"I think we are certainly getting nearer in terms of what we are doing for the club, but I think the past shows at the moment they are more regular on obtaining those type of objectives."

And the 35-year-old boss has been left in no doubt as to the importance of the upcoming game to both the club and their fans.

"I've been getting it for the last two weeks to be fair," the 35-year-old said.

"People have been speaking about it quite often in between us - the staff and the chairman - so you understand the importance of it.

"The voice out from the fans means this is a game where the passion is extremely high and it's a game that represents three points, but it really represents more in the history of north London derbies."

Article

Premier League preview: Arsenal v Tottenham

15 November 2012 13:18

Tottenham can move four points ahead of Arsenal on the English Premier League table with a win at Emirates Stadium on Saturday.

Spurs, who have not finished in front of Arsenal since 1994/95, are seventh on 17 points and lead the eighth-placed Gunners by a point after Arsene Wenger's side were held to a 3-3 draw by Fulham last weekend.

Andre Villas-Boas' squad have lost their past two league matches since beating Southampton 2-1 in October - they went down to Manchester City 2-1 on Sunday and were defeated 1-0 by Wigan on November 3.

Arsenal face Tottenham for the first time since coming from two goals behind to rout Spurs 5-2 in February, but have had their own struggles this season - winning just four games out of 11 in the Premier League.

Oliver Giroud scored twice for Arsenal in their match against Fulham and will be looking to back up his performance in his first North London Derby this weekend.

The Gunners will hope a win against their London rivals can revitalise their season – Arsenal's last victory in the Premier League came on October 27 against QPR.

Tottenham are likely to be without Kyle Walker, Jermain Defoe and Aaron Lennon after all three suffered hamstring injuries in their match against Manchester City.

Lennon and Walker withdrew from England's squad for their friendly against Sweden this week, while Defoe was left out.

Spurs have battled through injury issues all season with midfielder Scott Parker yet to play a match and Younes Kaboul lining up for just one league game before his knee injury.

The derby will offer a tantalising midfield battle with Tottenham's Moussa Dembele, Clint Dempsey and Gareth Bale going up against the likes of Santi Cazorla, Aaron Ramsey and Mikel Arteta.

Arsenal's Jack Wilshire should also return to boost his side's midfield stocks after his one-match suspension.

Premier League table